Financial Aid

Need help paying for your Tisch education?

Financing a college education can be challenging for many students and their families, and navigating the financial aid system can be confusing. The Office of Student Affairs is here to help. Through timely workshops and individual counseling, and working closely with NYU’s Office of Financial Aid, we demystify financial aid and help students maximize all available resources to pay for their education.

Undergraduate Financial Aid

All undergraduate financial aid at Tisch is need-based--that is, we do not offer scholarships based purely on merit.  Freshman and new transfer applicants apply for financial aid by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for federal aid review and the CSS Profile for scholarship consideration.  Deadlines are strictly observed.  

All students who file the FAFSA and CSS Profile are automatically considered for federal, state and NYU scholarship aid; there are no further applications required.  Returning students must file a new FAFSA (but not the CSS Profile) every year to maintain eligibility for federal financial aid.  Again, be sure to meet filing deadlines.  For questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Federal Aid

Federal aid can come in the form of a Pell Grant, for families with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) below $5,000; federally guaranteed student loans, such as the Stafford Loan; and College Work-Study, where students work on campus for up to $3,000 per academic year.

State Aid

Some states provide funding for qualified students. For example, New York has the TAP Award for New York residents meeting certain income qualifications.

College Work-Study

College Work-Study is a federally subsidized program that supports on-campus jobs for students who qualify for financial aid. Students register for Work-Study at the Wasserman Center for Career Development, but find their own jobs by perusing job lists, submitting resumes, and interviewing at University offices. Students with Work-Study jobs are paid by check on a biweekly basis. The amount students can earn and the hours they can work are limited.


Loans are a basic part of a student’s financial package and come in several forms: subsidized and unsubsidized loans guaranteed by the federal government; parent PLUS loans; and, occasionally, private loans. Private loans typically carry a higher interest rate and should be used only as a last resort.

Graduate Financial Aid

All graduate financial aid is awarded by the student’s academic department. Applicants apply for financial aid by checking the appropriate box on the application for admission. US citizens and permanent residents are strongly encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for federal loans.  

Contact Us

Undergraduate Financial Aid: Dory Smith-Wilson, Associate Director for Financial Aid Services 212-998-1911

Graduate Financial Aid: John Brown, Assistant Director for Graduate Admissions 212-998-1915