DANC-UT 1403 | 4 units
Dance Studio Practice is designed to develop a rigorous, creative physical practice in preparation for college-level pre-professional dance training. This four-week course consists of three components: Improvisation, Master Classes in contemporary styles, and Repertory. Our comprehensive, organic approach to dance encourages students to develop versatility of style and an expressive individual voice. Throughout the Repertory component students will learn and refine professional-level dance works to be shared in the Final Showing.
- Improvisation: explore and expand the creative, dynamic potential of the body; experiment with sound, text, sensation, narrative and imagination as ways of embodying movement.
- Master Classes: study with experts of professional contemporary dance in a range of styles; receive focused instruction from masters of the field.
- Repertory: learn and co-create new dance works with experienced contemporary choreographers; refine style and performance qualities in solo and/or group works.
Tools and Technical Requirements:
- Access to an internet-connected space that allows some full-body movement. This space need NOT be a dance studio; students may successfully participate in the course in a variety of home-based environments.
- Mac or PC with internet connection sufficient to support video conference streaming
- iPhone or Android smartphone capable of recording and sharing video content